Contact Us

 

JOIN US

- Sunday School ~ 9:30 a.m.

- Sunday Morning Worship 
  S
ervice ~ 11:00 a.m.

 


                    

 

Our History

"The Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe."   -- Proverbs 18-10

 


In 1955, Elder James R. Haughton, Sr. and his family joined a small group of believers who met at East 36th and Central Avenue under the direction of Elder Thomas Bookman. Elder Haughton labored with Elder Bookman to minister to the small but growing congregation that later moved to 959 Parkwood Drive. In 1957, Elder Haughton was appointed as pastor of the church after the Lord called Elder Bookman from labor to reward.

Elder Haughton and his family worked alongside the members to build the church into a respected neighborhood institution known for its faithful members, dynamic preaching and its outstanding choir. Elder James Haughton, Sr., who also worked a full time job at the post office, encouraged members to tithe as ordered by the Scriptures to support the church. The Elder’s kindness and generosity was known throughout the Glenville community. Under the firm but gentle guidance of Elder Haughton, the Lord blessed the Cleveland Church of Christ to grow to over 500 members.

By 1968, the church outgrew the Parkwood location and moved to 1055 East 105th Street to take its place among the other great churches that populated the community. Elder Haughton looked at East 105th with compassion and saw a neighborhood with many spiritual and physical needs for the church to address. Expanding the ministry of the church would involve acquiring property in the neighborhood. Using his considerable skills in real estate transactions, Elder Haughton negotiated the purchase of a cleaners, several parking lots, including one that was adjacent to the church, as well as several apartments and store fronts on the west side of Parkgate Avenue. These properties were turned into housing and employment opportunities for church members. One of the buildings, which was once a store, became the site of a community economic development agency organized by the church to offer job training to the community.

Pastor Haughton was consecrated in New York to a Bishop in the Churches of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith in 1974. He then assumed a leadership role in the state of Ohio and for a time ministered to churches in Columbus as well as his home congregation. Membership of the Cleveland Church of Christ continued to grow so that in 1978, the church built an addition to expand the choir stand, sanctuary, office space and classrooms to accommodate both the worship needs of the congregation and the developing vision of Bishop Haughton.

In 1983, Bishop James Haughton, Sr. was joined in the preaching ministry by his son, Lincoln C. Haughton, III who accepted his call to the ministry and was ordained in Oklahoma as an Elder in the Churches of Our Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith. Elder Lincoln Haughton became Assistant Pastor and joined his father in shepherding a flock that numbered over two thousand by the mid-1990′s. He also accepted the charge of realizing and further developing the vision the Lord had entrusted to his father. A professional educator and administrator, Elder Lincoln Haughton shared the same vision to build a church which would serve the neighborhood more effectively.

After many years of preparation, the Cleveland Church of Christ received major financing for new construction—a $6 million structure that would include a worship center and space for many of the neighborhood-oriented programs. On November 10, 2002, the church entered its new space, which began the beautiful transformation from a construction of brick and mortar into a vibrant hub of Christian love, where we worship today.

In 2003, after many years of dedicated service to the church and the community, Bishop James R. Haughton, Sr. was called home to be with the Lord.

Since 1999, Bishop Lincoln C. Haughton, III has served as Senior Pastor and Chief Executive Officer of the corporation. With his brother Deacon James R. Haughton, Jr., Pastor of Music and Fine Arts and Chief Operating Officer, by his side, the Cleveland Church of Christ has been transformed from a storefront church that served a handful of faithful members to a large, modern multi-faceted institution which is able to minister to the complex needs of the Glenville area.

In line with its new role, the Cleveland Church of Christ changed its name to better reflect its expanded vision. Now operating as the Cleveland Church of Christ, Citadel of Hope Ministries, the name recalls a favorite prayer of our Bishop in years past, “...that the church might be a Citadel where men and women and boys and girls might run into and be saved”. By definition, a Citadel is a stronghold, a refuge, and a place of safety where everyone is welcomed. Throughout its history, the Cleveland Church of Christ Citadel of Hope Ministries has consitently proven to be a Citadel in the Glenville community and ibeyond to help meet the spiritual, physical and emotional needs of all those who enter therein.